Tuesday, 17 December 2019

DoubleTree by Hilton – Westminster (London, England)

I woke up to rain and a forecast of more rain. After breakfast and working through a few on-line errands, I left to watch a film that seemed interesting: Last Christmas. I’d seen Emma Thompson talking about this movie on a talk show, that she wrote with her husband, and was the film’s producer. The story, which takes place during the Christmas season and in London, seemed like a great way to spend the afternoon.

The nearest theater was a good 40 minute walk away and I could see that the rain was letting up so off I went. The walk took me along the Thames until I reached the Chelsea bridge where I crossed over to the Battersea Power Station development.

In the spring of 2018 I stayed across from the Battersea Power Station development (thankfully the flat was soundproofed) and was fascinated with all of the work to restore the old power plant. Today I saw how far they’ve come in nearly two years and was impressed that some parts of it were finished and occupied.

As I walked across Chelsea bridge I took a picture of the development and will include a picture from a Pink Floyd album that featured the old power station and post both on Facebook and Instagram.

As it turned out I was the only one in the theater as the movie started. It was a new movie house that was built under the railway bridge that runs through the development and across the Thames. The theater was small and cozy.

I enjoyed the picture very much and it had a surprise ending which was fun to watch unfold. Music by George Michael and Wham was featured throughout the movie which added to the fun.

When I left after the movie it had starting to rain again. I decided not to walk back but had a problem getting an Uber driver to where I was waiting so walked across the bridge towards Victoria station, which worked out much better. Then was notified by the driver that he arrived at my original location. He charged me a cancellation fee but I’ll contest it since he didn’t confirm that he was on his way.

After getting back to the hotel I picked up my dry cleaning and my order for a wireless phone charger that was delivered to a local shop that serves as a location where you can pick up Amazon orders. By the time I returned to the hotel a second time I was beat.

I tried to nap but couldn’t. Ate a couple of sandwiches that I bought earlier, replied to texts from friends and watched a couple of TV programs. Then I went to sleep.

All I have planned for tomorrow is the Mary Poppins musical in the West End in the evening. I’ll need to figure out the rest of the day when I wake in the morning.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *