Monday, 4 November 2019

Hilton Capital Grand Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi, UAE)

I woke up at 3:00 a.m., a half hour before my alarm was set to go off. I made a cup of coffee and sat in front of my laptop reading email, texts and getting caught up on the news before I started to get ready to leave. I was actually glad to have the extra time to slowly prepare to leave rather than rush it along and perhaps forget to pack something.

The taxi was waiting for me and was glad to arrive at the airport with time to spare. All went well from the time I arrived to when I boarded the plane. For the most part all went well. Perhaps I was not in the mood for a little boy, about 5 or 6, running around the boarding gate and constantly talking or yelling. I tried not to focus too much attention on him since, as it sometimes happens, that little boy could be sitting behind me for the three hours to get to Amman, Jordan.

Next we boarded a bus to the plane. A couple, probably Instagram Influencers, taking pictures and taking a video of boarding a plane. Then another guy with a phone ringing in his bag and let it ring for the next 10 or so minutes. Who lets a phone ring so long? Maybe the lack of sleep was making me irritable.

Guess who sat next to me on the flight? The guy who didn’t answer his phone is who. Though I was thankful it wasn’t a certain little boy. In any case the flight went well and we landed in Amman on schedule. And after going through security again I easily found the gate where I’ll leave for Larnaca.

I had time for a quick lunch before the flight boarded. It was a short one hour flight since Cyprus is near Lebanon, Jordan and Israel and Turkey is just to the north of the island.

I had let my Airbnb host know that I would be arriving early and he said that I could pick up the keys from his mother who works in the building where the flat was located. I was through immigration and picked up my suitcase very quickly.

My Airbnb host sent me pictures of how to get into the building, which was interesting in itself. It was a mixture of business offices and flats. His mother worked for his dad who was a doctor and she escorted me up to the flat and showed me around. The place, on the third floor, is very nice and modern and somewhat large, even for a two bedroom flat.

I was very tired and the first thing I wanted to do was to take a nap, which I did. I eventually left to buy some beer and also to pick up a pizza from a nearby Pizza Hut. I’m staying in somewhat the same neighborhood where I’ve stayed before. I like the consistency so I’m not having to learn everything from scratch.

Even though I was tired, eating pizza and drinking a beer while watching Star Trek I had trouble falling asleep. Thankfully this lasted only a couple of hours then I finally got some needed sleep.

Tomorrow I’ll go food shopping and do laundry. I hand washed my underwear, travel pants and a few shirts in my hotel sink in Kathmandu since I wasn’t sure about the hotel laundry and now will wash everything now that I have a good washer in the flat. I’ll take more naps tomorrow as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *