Tuesday, 26 March 2019

127 The Strand (Gzira, Malta)

After a breakfast of mixed fruit, and I fixed the hashbrown/fried egg meal for Barbara, we ordered a taxi to take us to the ferry terminal on the other side of the island to catch a ferry to Gozo.

Our driver took us along the back roads to the ferry terminal located in Cirkewwa. So very interesting to see the variety of terrain and vegetation along the way. Booking a ride was easy and very inexpensive. We paid less than 4 Euros apiece for the ferry ride and this included a return as well.

We had no idea what to see when we arrived in Gozo. I knew that I was ready for a nice lunch. After we walked through a recreation of a Bethlehem village (we never did figure out why this was here) and walked around a nearby church we were ready for lunch.

Barbara asked someone along our walk for his recommendation on where to eat and he gave us two options. We thought we would walk over to a place nearby named Rexi. It turned out to be an excellent choice. We both had two items from their menu and were stuffed by the time we left. Everything was so good and the portions were so large we couldn’t finish everything. But we did our best!

We decided to continue our walk up the hill and found ourselves in the countryside of Gozo. We passed a place where horses were kept and then walked past fields of either rye or wheat, potatoes, onions and other crops. It was a beautiful day for a walk. The hills around the small island of Gozo were filled with small farms.

As we headed back down the hill we found a place to look out over the fields to the sea. We saw a fortress on the hill, farmlands, a couple of ponds (where we heard frogs croaking) and the sea beyond. Prickley Pear cactus seemed to be growing everywhere.

We checked the steps we walked today and we were over 10,000 steps. I suppose we could have visited churches or perhaps a museum, but our walk was just perfect and gave us a chance to see the rural parts of the island.

After the ferry ride back to the main island of Malta and a taxi ride back to the flat, neither of us were hungry. It wasn’t until a couple of hours later when we ate more of our dinners from last night. Another early night for us, though I managed to do a load of laundry while I watched Steel Magnolias, probably for the 10th time.

Earlier, while we were on ferry, I spoke with my brother about his trip to Paris in May when we’ll meet up. My niece is working to learn some words in French which will be helpful. She does need more work on learning to count to 10. They are very excited about coming over.

Tonight I was able to make travel arrangements that will get me from Malta to Nice. It took making reservations with two different airlines, even though Nice is just across the sea from Malta. But I got excellent fares so that was good and a two-hour layover in Rome. Now to find a place to stay in Nice, but I’ll leave that for another day.

Tomorrow’s weather looks “iffy” and we will figure out what we’ll do once we get up. Later tomorrow we leave for Sicily, but not until after 6:30 p.m. so we have all day on Malta to do as we please.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *