Friday, 15 March 2019

Nicolaus Hotel (Bari, Italy)

Slept well last night and was up fairly early this morning. After getting dressed, I went to the restaurant off of the lobby to try their breakfast. It was similar to a Hilton breakfast, but this breakfast will be charged to my room at the rate of 12 Euro. My Hilton breakfasts are free. In any case, I was full and returned to my room for my morning post-breakfast nap.

My plan today was to go down to the old part of the city and then along the waterfront. Where the hotel is located is in a newer part of the city. It took me over a half an hour to figure out which bus to take, but after asking a few people I got it figured out. Google maps usually has information on local bus service, but not for Bari. Eventually the proper bus showed up and I was on my way. If I had walked, I would have been there by now.

I got off just after the train station stop (located in the middle of the city) and walked towards the river. On the way I took pictures of three older buildings that looked interesting. The last one, Teatro Margherita, is where the exhibit, Van Gogh Alive, is being presented.

What a beautiful day it was to walk around the Bari harbor. Sunny, not quite 70F, and no wind. The seafood vendors were in the process of putting away their stalls as I arrived and a number of people were walking around along the water.

I walked back to Teatro Margherita and bought a ticket (at a senior discount) to Van Gogh Alive. I was a multi-media and multi-screen review of Van Gogh’s life and his works. While watching it gave me some ideas of places to visit when in France during April and May.

I walked around through the old part of Bari and checked out a few places where I might order a coffee and perhaps have a gelato. I went into several places but didn’t feel the need to stay and order anything. I wasn’t that hungry.

When it was time to return to the hotel, I tried to find the bus for the return trip, but didn’t find what I was looking for. I still had plenty of energy so I decided to walk back. Google said it would take nearly 40 minutes, but it was a nice day and I enjoyed looking at the shops along the way and the people too.

For whatever reason I was thinking about Japanese food. Perhaps it was the person who checked me into the hotel yesterday said there was a good Japanese restaurant nearby. But it didn’t open until 8:00 p.m. and I hadn’t eaten since breakfast. Oh well, another day perhaps.

Surprisingly I didn’t take a nap tonight. I checked my email and texts then made a couple of small sandwiches from the prosciutto, cheese and bread that I bought last night. I also bought a small jar of mayo too. My mini-fridge in my room can hold these ingredients.

Will watch a couple of episodes of Star Trek Discovery tonight before I go to bed. Tomorrow I’m taking the train up to Barletta. I haven’t planned much after that. Probably Lecce, Taranto, and Catanzaro in the “toe” of the Italian “boot”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *