Wednesday, 26 September 2018

London, England (Kensington Hilton)

This morning I had a quick breakfast and then was back up to my room to pack for my short journey to Littlecote House Hotel, just outside of Hungerford, England.

Follow this link to learn more about Littlecote House:

My train was due to leave at 11:06 a.m. so I decided to be out of the room by 10:00 to be sure I had time to checkout, travel to Paddington, and retrieve my ticket at the station.

I ordered Uber again and my driver said he was originally from Afghanistan and has been in the U.K. for 24 years. We talked mainly about Afghanistan and global leadership. It was one of the best Uber conversations yet. He was so articulate and seemed to be well-read on a number of subjects. It was an honor to be his passenger this morning.

He dropped me off at a good location to get into the station and I was on my way to pick up my ticket. Had a little difficulty retrieving my ticket because the first machine I went to wouldn’t recognize my Visa card, but the next one did and I had my ticket. Now to wait for the departure platform to be announced.

Fairly uneventful from London to Hungerford. I could see the countryside as we passed through the small towns along the way. The largest was Reading. When I got off the train at Hungerford I requested an Uber for pickup, but none were available. I then called a couple of taxi services and either didn’t get an answer or was told it would be over an hour before someone could pick me up. Walking to Littlecote House was not an option.

I asked a local resident about getting a taxi and she suggested going to the nearby Tesco and asking the customer service desk, which I did. It worked! The taxi service they recommended said he would be around to pick me up in five minutes.

I should have taken a picture as we drove into the Littlecotte House location. It was like a movie of an English estate. Check-in was a little slow, but I wasn’t in a rush. Got to the location with plenty of time to spare. Had to laugh when the person assigned to show me my room couldn’t find the room. (She said she has worked at Littlecote for a year and a half.)

After I had a quick rest in my room I ventured out and explored the building and the surrounding area, just to get my bearings. I had a small lunch as well.

I was still a little tired and when I woke I realized that I only had 30 minutes to get to dinner. The dining hall seems to be set up like a cruise ship where everyone has an assigned table. I just ordered something easy (pork chops), ate it, and returned to my room.

Tomorrow Corrine arrives in the early afternoon. By then I’ll have walked the grounda a bit more and can give her a tour if she is up to it. She is going to love her room!

To see pictures: 

– or –

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *