Tuesday, 11 September 2018

Vilnius, Lithuania
Šnipiškės District (Konstitucijos prospektas 9)

Was up earlier than planned. I could have tried to get more sleep but thought I could use the extra time to ensure I was ready for my 7:00 a.m. flight. It was 3:00 a.m. when this day started.

I did the usual things to get ready. I still needed to arrange for a car to the airport and find where to take the garbage. I put both out of my mind and focused on what I needed to do. The extra time gave me a moment to drink my coffee and have something to eat.

By 4:30 a.m. I was ready to leave the flat and go to the airport. I left with my suitcase and two bags of garbage. When I got outside the building I saw the garbage truck there and handed my two bags to them. That was easy! Almost like it was planned.

I walked around the corner to the main street and ordered an Uber. It showed up about 10 minutes later. The driver looked like he just got out of bed so I didn’t try to have a conversation with him. The trip to the airport took about 15 minutes and was able to get my suitcase checked in by a 5:00. Now, what to do for the next 90 minutes?

After going through security I found a coffee shop and ordered a coffee and two muffins. Then played a few games of pinochle and then more games of Hearts, which I recently started to play. An easy way to pass the time. Though I didn’t play too well because I was still very tired after having only a couple of hours of sleep.

Both flights to Hamburg went well. I had a layover in Stockholm and had another cup of coffee there. Then landed in Hamburg. I had a choice of a taxi or taking the S train into the city. The taxi seemed the best option because I didn’t want to haul my suitcase from the station to the hotel. It was difficult not to think about 9/11 and actually looked for different days to take this flight.

The hotel staff let me into a room before the stated check-in time. The room was actually bigger than the one I reserved. It was a win-win for sure. But I was hungry. I found a supermarket nearby and walked there to find something to eat and perhaps a snack to enjoy in my room later. I found what I would call a working man’s lunch counter. It was a place where they would carve a hunk of meat and put it into a bun, with mustard or ketchup. I ordered a chunk of ham with the mustard and ketchup. It was perfect!

I was really dragging my feet when I got back to the hotel. The nap, or I should say naps, lasted until 7:00 p.m. Then I was hungry again, but found a nearby pizza shop and ordered a Hawaiian. I might be tired but my appetite was still good.

It wasn’t too long after that I was in bed. Tomorrow I’d like to walk down towards the harbor. Rain is in the forecast.

To see pictures: 

– or –

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *