Wednesday, 18 July 2018

Copenhagen, Denmark (8 House, Ørestad)

Had trouble sleeping during my first night here for some reason. Maybe because it was a new bed and not as soft and comfortable like one you’d find in a Hilton. Sometimes I sleep well on my first night in a new place, sometimes not. In any case, I managed to get some extra sleep by getting up late in the morning. I actually got up at 6:00 a.m., drank some coffee and went back to bed.

After I got settled in, ate a little breakfast and took a shower, I walked over to the nearby Metro station to figure out how the Metro system in Copenhagen works. I found a ticket machine and decided to purchase a Metro card that is good for the next 72 hours. This stop is at the end of the line so it was easy to determine which direction I should do when leaving the station. Before getting on the train I had to figure out how to use my Metro card. In most cities you need to go through a gate where you present your ticket, but I didn’t see anything so I just got on the first train that came along.

I saw the train went to Christianshavn, a “trendy” part of Copenhagen, so I decided that this is where I’d get off. As I was getting off the train I saw a device to tap my card but didn’t see anyone else doing it so I just got off the train. I saw a church a couple of blocks away and walked over in that direction. On the way I bought a bottle of water at a 7-11. (Think this is the first 7-11 I’ve seen while I’ve been traveling.) The church is named (in Danish) Vor Freiser’s Kirke (Church of Our Savior).

The church is a Baroque 17th century church. You could climb up the steeple but I wasn’t interested. The interior is well-preserved and very beautiful. Someone was playing the church’s large organ so I sat for a few moments and listened.

I walked around a nearby canal for awhile then decided it was time to return to the flat. I was still tired and not interested in doing any more sightseeing for the day. I got on the Metro train again and got off at the stop just before my stop to visit what is called a “hyper market” which is similar to a Fred Meyer.

The store was located in a large shopping mall (Field’s) but for the life of me I couldn’t find a directory of the mall to tell me where to find the store. Eventually, after walking around for nearly 15 minutes I did find the store and saw that it was very large. I found the food section was and located everything I needed. I walked out of the store with two large bags.

When I got back to the Metro station I saw where you could “tap” your Metro card. When I did, I heard a sound that indicated I did something wrong. (Sounded like a buzzer on a quiz show when you get a wrong answer.) I tried again and it did the same thing. So I got on the train and rode to the next stop where I got off. It was then I saw two of these devices next to each other, but they were labeled slightly different. I assumed that you would use one before you got on a train and the other when you got off. I tapped my card on the one that looked like it was for getting on and got an “OK” from the device. Then tapped the other and got another “OK”. Mystery solved.

I needed a nap when I returned to the flat and put away everything that needed to be in a refrigerator or freezer. When I woke I started a load of wash and also began to prepare dinner. Roasted chicken, potatoes, and green peas. While the chicken was cooking I wrote a travel blog update.

After dinner I hooked up my laptop to the TV and started to watch the second season of Victoria. Eventually I became tired and decided to go to bed.

Tomorrow I’ll visit Copenhagen’s famous “The Little Mermaid” (Den lille Havfrue) that is located at the Langelinie promenade in an old part of Copenhagen.



To see pictures: 

– or –

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *