Wednesday, 30 May 2018

London, England (198 St. John Street, Clerkenwell)

I was up early this morning to ensure I had time to finish packing for my flight to Bucharest. Our Airbnb host asked yesterday that we not use the one bathroom at all. Apparently, there is still a leak somewhere. Since he have a great discount for Craig to stay on another day, I decided not to ask for more compensation.

Since the journey to the Luton Airport takes about an hour, I wanted to be out of the flat by 9:30 a.m. Craig will be without my help for about a day, so I left written instructions for him. He will be joined by his Seattle friend, Bruce, later today, but I wanted to make sure that he was comfortable with getting around otherwise. (I hope Craig appreciates my attention to detail.)

After we said our goodbyes, I left for the Farringdon Train Station, located directly across from the underground station. This is where I bought a ticket for Luton Airport. After arriving at Luton Airport we all got on a shuttle bus to the airport. It was just two hours before the flight was to depart. I checked in my suitcase then ate a late breakfast before going through security to the gate.

Our flight was delayed about a half and hour due to air traffic over Germany. Though we must have made up some time because we were almost on time when we landed at Bucharest.

My only concern at the Bucharest Airport was how to arrange for good transportation to the hotel. I read about the various transportation options while I was waiting at the Luton Airport. I decided to give the taxi service a chance. To use the taxi service you go to a machine in the Airport lobby and select a taxi service, press a button and you get a ticket. The ticket shows the name of the taxi service, the number of the taxi, and when the taxi is expected outside to pick you up. Mine was about five minutes late, but he took me directly to the hotel with no problem. The 30 minute ride cost, with tip, about $15.00, which I thought was very reasonable.

I found out that I was upgraded to a junior suite, which I very much appreciated. It was now 8:30 p.m., which is two hours ahead of London due to the distance we traveled to the east. We had flown over two time zones. I ordered room service and got settled into my room. Watched another episode of The Crown before going to bed.

Tomorrow I plan to sleep and rest. And perhaps go for a short walk to the river and see at least one attraction here. Touring London for the past week left me without my usual naps and I need to get back on my regular schedule.

To see pictures: CLICK HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *