Thursday, 24 May 2018

London, England (198 St. John Street, Clerkenwell)

Today I’m expecting Cousin Craig to arrive. His plane is scheduled to arrive at Heathrow at 11:45 a.m. Since I haven’t heard that he missed his plane, I’ll assume that he is on his way.

Before his arrival, I finished unpacking, made sure all my laundry was washed and put away, and fixed chicken noodle soup for lunch. I don’t expect him until 3:00 p.m.

At around 3:30 I received a text letting me know that he made it to the nearby Kings Cross Station. He has asked if I’d like to meet him at a place named the Caravan, located near the station. After a moment I said I’d walk over there and join him for a beer.

The walk to meet him got me out to see a part of London that was new to me. I especially enjoyed walking along one of the nearby canals. At last I saw Cousin Craig waving to me from outside the Caravan, located at Granary Square, a new development next to Kings Cross.

We sat there enjoying a beer and got caught up before walking over to the station to hail a taxi that would take us to the flat. On the way from Granary Square we saw a number of bars with local young professionals enjoying a drink with their friends and co-workers.

After Craig dropped off his suitcase he wanted to find a place to eat and walk around the neighborhood. This was his first trip to London and everything was new to him. I find it interesting to watch people who are new to the city and understand what they find of interest.

Craig found a Vietnamese restaurant where we ordered dinner. From there we walked around the neighborhood. We noticed a number of bars and pubs that were packed with people. It seemed like there was some neighborhood event. We learned that it was an annual design convention and people in the home design industry were partying at many of the local venues. I happened to mention to Craig that people in most parts of the U.K. like to drink. Perhaps he figured this out already.

After walking around for nearly an hour we decided it was time to return to the flat. I could tell that Craig was getting very tired. I was surprised that he rested for maybe 15 minutes then was ready to walk around the neighborhood some more. I said I would stay at the flat. He returned after about 30 minutes before he started to unpack.

The flat was still very warm and we had opened all of the windows to cool it down. It eventually got cool enough when we decided to get to sleep. He took the bedroom that had an adjoining bathroom and I took the other bedroom.

Tomorrow is still somewhat open. I’ll wait to hear what Craig finds interesting and we will being to explore London. I look forward to finding new places to visit.

To see pictures: CLICK HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *