Monday, 21 May 2018

Bratislava, Slovakia (DoubleTree by Hilton, Bratislava)

I woke up to sunshine! A beautiful day to explore Bratislava and I was ready. After breakfast and a shower I was out the door and on my way. All I knew is that I was headed toward Bratislava’s old town. On the way, I stopped by the local mall to see if there was a post office there, and there was. I was hoping they would have packing material for sale at the post office and they didn’t. While walking around today I’ll look for a shop that sells padded envelopes.

I had several routes, according to my phone’s GPS, to get me to the old town of the city. I selected a route that would keep me in the shade the longest. I took a few pictures along the way. The architecture in Bratislava isn’t as dramatic and impressive as in Prague, but many of the older buildings are in fairly good shape. Streets were not crowded at all, either with cars or pedestrians.

I came across Church Blumental and saw that it is in the process of being renovated. I took a picture of the church, as it was, and also the statue across the street. It was a great place to stop and rest before walking forward to old town.

Along the way I found a stationery shop that had just what I was looking for. I bought the padded envelops and was on my way. The old town of Bratislava is not large as Prague, but is in great shape and has many interesting shops and buildings. I saw the castle in the distance and decided that I could always come back tomorrow if I felt like I wanted to see it.

On the way back to the hotel I took a different route. As I was walking along I tripped and almost fell. I walked back to see what it was, since I’m careful to watch my step. It turns out there was a lump, about the size of a golf ball, in the pavement. I could see why I missed it because it blended in with the pavement around it. Now, to see if I can still walk. I kept walking and I felt okay, but knew that something was a little off, but not causing any problems.

As I walked I didn’t feel any problems with any of my joints and kept positive that I’ll be fine. Before I got back to the hotel, I stopped by the Starbucks at the mall and ordered an iced latte and a yogurt. What a great way to enjoy the day and people watch.

When I got back to my room I saw that I walked almost 15,000 steps. I was happy with what I saw today and feel that I’m getting accustomed to Bratislava after a couple of days.

I sent a text to my cousin Glenn who should be settled by now in his lodgings in England. (Yes, I’ll have two cousins from different sides of the family visiting London at the same time.) He is visiting the southwestern end of England in Penzance. He sent me back a picture of his dinner – fish and chips. Looks like he is doing fine. Though, he isn’t planning on visiting London so I doubt if I’ll see him when I’m in London later this week.

After dinner I heard from Cousin Craig who will be arriving in London on Wednesday. We are coordinating where we will meet up on Wednesday. Though, I still need to plan my trip on Wednesday that will take me by train to Vienna and then on the plane to London.

Tomorrow I plan to mail my two packages and get a haircut. My last haircut was in London almost a month ago. The weather tomorrow calls for rain, so I’ll see what actually happens after I wake up. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the good weather that I’ve enjoyed over the past few weeks.

To see pictures: CLICK HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *