Friday, 18 May 2018

Prague, Czech Republic (Kubova 535, Prague 8)

Woke up to a very sunny morning in Prague. The birds started to chirp at 4:30 a.m. but I was able to sleep through it very well. I finally got up around 8:00 and had my coffee and a bowl of muesli – a cereal that I started to like in Italy. It seems to be popular in the Czech Republic as well.

I was out the door at about 11:00 and walking toward the Old Town. I’m feeling comfortable walking without referring to my phone’s GPS. A good sign that I’m comfortable in a new city. I first headed toward the large cathedral in the Old Town square and tried to find the door to get inside. I finally found an entrance though an opening in one of the buildings that were put up outside the front of the church. When I got to the main entrance, I decided not to go in. But I did make use of the WC (water closet) that was close by.

Nearby, I went inside St. Nicholas Church and took some pictures. Beautiful sanctuary. I happened to walk in while an organist was practicing, so I stayed for awhile while he or she played.

From there I left the square and walked to my first destination, the Franz Kafka Monument. (See picture and video via the link below.) There is something about a giant head where parts of the head rotate. Fun to watch it change. Very unusual and interesting.

My next destination was the Dancing House, or sometimes called, “Fred and Ginger”. A quirky building located on the Old Town side of the Jirásek Bridge. Very interesting to look at. I have a tendency to wonder, when I see something unique as this, how someone got the funding for it to be built. It isn’t your normal office building. I can imagine an architect bringing in a model of the building into a meeting with a financier, who might say, “What in the heck is that!”

By this time it was getting warm outside and I had walked nearly 15,000 steps in just a few hours. Think I had seen enough for one day and didn’t want to walk back. That would put me at 25,000 steps which would be pushing my endurance. So I found a taxi to drive me back.

When I got back to the flat I wanted to start filling in the gaps in my travel plan on the spreadsheet that I use to track my travel. Was good to get the flights confirmed. All I need to do now is book my Bucharest and Sofia lodgings.

After a short nap I ate the remainder of the chicken noodle soup and worked on my travel blog and posted some pictures. By the time I finished it was time for bed.

Tomorrow I leave to Bratislava, Slovakia. I’m planning to be up by 7:30 a.m., eat, shower and pack – and then get to the airport by 9:30 for my 11:15 flight to Vienna. From Vienna I take a train to Bratislava. It will be a full day so I’ll need my sleep.

To see pictures: CLICK HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *