Sunday, 11 February 2018

Lisbon, Portugal (Double Tree by Hilton – Lisbon, Fontana Park)

Woke up to a wet balcony this morning, then checked the forecast. The forecast says I should expect the skies to be overcast all day with a good chance of rain later. I had intended to go up and visit the castle today but will need to find something else to do. While at breakfast, on my phone, I looked for any museum that might be interesting, but the ones I wanted to see were in areas that I’d like to explore while the sun in out.

After breakfast I decided that a morning nap would be okay since I’m not in any hurry to go outside. After a shower and answering email, I decided I could go and check out the metro system and perhaps do a test run. The one line that has a nearby station goes out to a shopping mall at the end of the line. I decided that that would be my objective.

When I arrived at the metro station I tried to purchase a metro pass. The ticket machine wouldn’t accept my American Express, but all I had was a 50 Euro bill and some loose change. The machine, while it accepted the 50, it didn’t have enough change and therefore returned the 50 to me. A man nearby saw that my 50 wouldn’t work so he directed me to an ATM where I withdrew 20 Euro. He also helped me buy the ticket. I was a little concerned when he took my 20 and put it into the ticket machine and started to press buttons but I let him help me. He put the fare on a spare metro card he had and gave it to me then showed me how to use the card at the station entrance. Again, I found (or I guess he found me) the right person at the right time.

The ride to the Odivelas station was fairly quick and easy. Only a few people on the train. When I got off at the station, a man approached me and asked if he could pass through the turnstile with me (because he didn’t have a valid metro card). I said I didn’t want to get into trouble, so said I couldn’t. When I got topside, I checked out where the mall was located. I also checked out the mall via Google and saw that it was not doing well and many shops in the mall had closed. Looks like I’ll get back on the next train going back to my station of origin and call it a day. There are only three metro lines and now that I know how to buy and use a metro ticket I’m ready to become a regular Lisbon metro rider.

At some point eating Chinese food sounded real good. It had been many months since I had any. By this point I was getting very hungry and wasn’t going to be too particular where I had my Chinese meal. The closest to the station was in a nearby mall near the hotel. When I got there, I found that it was in the mall’s food court, but I didn’t care and ordered chow mein with shrimp. It was made to order and it tasted very good, or I was just very hungry. In either case I was full after cleaning my plate.

Later I called Cousin Donna. Our attorney for Bobby’s estate had passed away and I wanted to see how she was doing. I also wanted to let her know that the Hood River News said that around 800 people attended his services at the local air museum. He had been her attorney and family friend when her dad, my Uncle Bob, passed away over 30 years ago. He was also the attorney for the conservatorship for Bobby that I inherited from her. She had known Will and his secretary, Ada, for all those years. I’m very much looking forward to seeing her when I visit Oregon next month. Looking forward to visiting my other Oregon cousins as well and friends who I’ve missed while I’ve been traveling.

By this time I was only interested in watching a couple of Netflix program and calling it a day. While I feeling better, there is something about getting a good nights sleep on a rainy night.

Tomorrow I’ll make another attempt to visit the castle. The forecast calls for sun and I’m ready for it!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *