Tuesday, 14 November 2017

London (Chelsea), England (90 Beaufort Street)

We’re checking out this morning at 8:30. After breakfast, showering, packing, and cleaning – we were out at 8:40. Originally, I wanted more time to explore London and have an early start so we could visit the Victoria and Albert Museum, but realized that they didn’t open until 10:00 a.m.

We hailed a taxi who took us to a coffee shop near the museum so we could wait there until the museum opened at 10:00. We enjoyed coffee and scones while we waited.

While we were talking I noticed a street sign: “No Antisocial Driving”. I Googled it and discovered it was to remind drivers to be on their best behavior while driving to reduce accidents and improve traffic flow. Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO): An order which bans specific acts in a designated geographical area in the United Kingdom as set out in the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. PSPOs are intended to prevent specific acts which would not otherwise be criminal offences. However, they have been criticised as restricting freedoms.” (According to Wikipedia.)

Shortly before 10:00 a.m. we wheeled our luggage into the V&A Museum and checked them at the baggage counter. We had planned to meet Prean and Viktor at the museum for tea at 11:00, so it gave us time to look around the first floor. On this floor there were early artifacts from the medieval period in Europe, and also displays from Korea, China, and Japan.

Prean and Viktor texted me to let us know there were waiting for us in the museum cafe. We had a long conversation about learning languages and Csabi and Viktor (Hungarian and Russian) compared their approach to learning English and shared applications that they used. An hour passed quickly and it was time for us to leave for Euston Station. Prean and Victor helped us carry our luggage to the South Kensington Station and we said our good-byes.

Building where the V&A Cafe is located:

The Euston Station was only a few stops away and we collected our train tickets (that we ordered online) at the station. After saying goodbye to Csabi (travelling to Manchester to catch his flight to Budapest) and boarded the underground to Kings Cross for my train to Edinburgh. Will try to meet up with Csabi after the first of the year in either Hungary or England.

On the train to Edinburgh I used the time to get caught up on my travel blog and edited some pictures. I’m finally caught up but need to insert some pictures into the blogs, which I’ll do tomorrow. Travel time to Edinburgh is 4 hours and 22 minutes.

Arrived in Edinburgh at 6:22 p.m., did some quick grocery shopping at Waverley Station, then caught a taxi to my new flat. The host’s husband was waiting for me and showed me around their flat. I rented the Great King Street flat from them, but it wasn’t available until next week, so I’m staying at their other Edinburgh flat. What an amazing place! On the first floor, which means that I get a flat with incredibly high ceilings and spacious rooms. I’ll have to take some pictures and include in a future blog post.

Tomorrow I’ll finish unpacking, explore the neighborhood and do more grocery shopping and otherwise catch up on my bookkeeping and organizing future trips. And taking a couple of naps. While I very much enjoy having company while I travel, I don’t always get all the sleep I’d like.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *