Saturday, 9 September 2017

After breakfast I received a text from Tom letting me know that they were going to hike from Monterosso to Vernazza, the next town over. I was going to meet them over there and arrive by train. Worked out fairly close timing-wise because I got there maybe 10-15 minutes before they did. Apparently the hike was a little strenuous and when we met up they were looking forward to having beer and some lunch.

Thanks to Clayton, he found a pizzeria that served take away pizza and beer. After a leisurely lunch, we walked up to “the castle” which is built on a hill next to the sea. Many steps to get up to it and the view was phenomenal. ┬áThe very narrow stairway went through at least one restaurant along the way and you really had to watch your step and dodge people along the way.

Again we headed back to the beach since the weather was holding up and had some late afternoon drinks. Dinner was earlier, at 7:00 p.m., and everyone wanted to rest and freshen up before meeting up.

I was staying up a little higher up on the hill from Tom, Dana, Clayton, and Stacey who were sharing an apartment. When I walked down to meet them it was starting to rain. When I got to their place out walked Dana and Stacey with towels wrapped around them and plastic over their heads. Tom and Clayton made do with wearing a hat, but I had an umbrella.

By the time we got down the hills the four of them were getting soaked. Clayton bought a couple of umbrellas for Dana and Stacey. It was a bit of a walk to the restaurant and all of us were wet when we walked through the door.

Clayton suggested Spanish Coffees and the bartender made his version of the drink which we all liked. It was our last meal together and of the three restaurants, this one was the best. Service and food were exceptional. We were so impressed we asked to speak with the chef. When he came out we applauded him for the dinner.

During dinner we could see flashes of lightening. The storm was a good one. It was still raining when we finished dinner so we took a taxi back to our apartments.

I said good-bye to the four of them. Tom and Dana were leaving at 5:30 a.m. for Florence, then on to Paris. Clayton and Stacey were leaving a couple of hours after that for Venice. I was leaving at 10:30 a.m. for Munich. What a great time for the past few days! Great to get caught up with Tom and Dana and a pleasure to meet Clayton and Stacey.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *