Friday, 4 August 2017

Left Liverpool and took a ferry to Isle of Man. I had planned to be out of my room by 10:00 and take a taxi to the terminal to be ready to board at 10:30.

I’ve been enjoying breakfasts down in the restaurant for the past few days. For whatever reason the continental breakfast, which was complementary to those staying on the executive floor, was moved temporarily to the main restaurant on the ground floor. When I got down to the restaurant the hostess said I could have anything offered. Nice! Those eating breakfast with me were an interesting mixture of tourists from a number of different countries and business travelers. Guess this was due to the hotel’s location in the city. Generally, I just see tourists for the most part.

I hadn’t been on a full-sized ferry since our family took a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria in June 1967. How do I remember this? Because Jayne Mansfield died while we were on vacation. (Yes, a gruesome way to remember.) ┬áLike I know when I was last in Las Vegas – because Diana died that weekend.

As for today’s ferry trip. When boarding we first were put into a large waiting room then called in groups to board the ferry. This involved climbing a flight of stairs, more or less outside the ship and then into the main cabin. One woman needed some coaxing before climbing the steps. I forget that many people have a deep fear of heights. For me, no big deal. There is a new suspension bridge for hikers in Switzerland. Think I’ll give this a try when I’m in the area again. (See below.)

There were a number of families with very young children and found myself moving seats several times during the crossing. I don’t mind a little crying or fussing, but screaming sets me on edge. It could have been the boat’s movement that we upsetting the children.

I enjoyed the ride and the view from the windows for the next two and a half hours. It seemed that I felt most of the ship’s movement as we were leaving Liverpool and then again when arriving in Douglas, Isle of Man. Otherwise, just a gentle movement otherwise. Though, even then, it took a few steps to get my “sea legs” after I stood up. I was kind of hoping for more movement during the crossing.

We could go out on the ship’s stern and get some fresh air and watch the wake from the propellers. The picture below shows an offshore wind turbine farm.

The capital town of Douglas hugs a crescent-shaped bay in the southeastern part of the island. I learned that in the early days there were many small hotels that faced the sea along the long and wide promenade.

I had a little trouble finding the Airbnb. I walked with suitcase about a mile along the Promenade to the spot where my GPS said the flat was located. Turns out they put “avenue” instead of “terrace” into the address. We eventually found each other and now they know to change their address. I’m one of the their first guests.

After I looked around the flat with them I asked about a roasting pan for the oven and also a skillet for the stove. They have a beautiful kitchen here but is missing these two things. I was going to ask for a stock pot for soup, but think I can make the large saucepan work. They were surprised that I’d want to cook with all the restaurants in the neighborhood.

Went shopping at the local Marks and Spencer soon after I got settled. It closed at 6:00 p.m. (Sounds kind of early.) I really wanted to take a nap. When I finished I asked for a taxi to take me back to the flat. I had two large bags of groceries and really didn’t want to walk all the way back.

I’ll decide tomorrow how long I’ll stay here. Not expected to be above 70 degrees for the next few days – which is okay with me. I’ve been watching the stories about the heat wave in Oregon. As I’m writing this I’m sitting here wearing a flannel shirt because it’s a little chilly.

Tomorrow I’ll take a the Electric Railway. It will be a good way to see the island.






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *