Monday, 31 July 2017

On the way to the bus stop this morning I took a picture of where I’m staying. The building is kind of funky mixture of old and new. Again, I’m really liking the quietness and the beauty of the surrounding area. The room has everything I need – including a dishwasher – a rare find and very much appreciated!

Csabi and I boarded the bus to Workington. There are several buses that connect the various nearby towns and resorts. It seemed that most of the people on the bus were locals who take advantage of this service. Not crowded at all and no delays along the way.

Once we were in Workington, Csabi was interested in some new running shoes and I was looking for a new carry-on bag since the shoulder strap on my current bag broke just before I got to Keswick a few days ago. I found a replacement that should be able to hold my laptop and iPad – and odds and ends that I need while traveling if my suitcase is not with me. This bag cost me less than 15 pounds. Nice!

Csabi couldn’t find the exact pair of shoes that he wanted so decided to order from Amazon. He tried on the same brand, style and size at a store to confirm that he likes the fit.

We were getting a bit hungry and decided to eat at a family restaurant that Csabi had been to recently. Again I was reminded to be patient. Our order took nearly 20 minutes to get to us – and it was after 2:00 when the restaurant was almost empty. We both ordered the same thing, a tuna sandwich with coleslaw on whole wheat bread. Our sandwiches came on white bread but we didn’t care – we were starving! Yes, I’ll be patient.

To walk off the meal we headed out to the Irish Sea, about a 15 minute walk. We almost got to the sea, but must have taken a wrong turn and found ourselves at a dead end, but saw the sea from a distance. The harbor next to us was almost completely drained due to low tide. I saw a boat owner and asked about the tide and he said the high tide was at 6:00 p.m. and the harbor would rise nearly 7 meters (or over 21 feet) over the next few hours.

We returned to Workington’s bus station and were just in time to catch the bus back to Keswick. On the bus ride Csabi ordered his shoes from Amazon and I enjoyed the views from the bus window.

Was an ideal day for walking an enjoying the beautiful English countryside. It is just how you’d imagine it to look. We had a few laughs along the way when I saw some cows and said, “How Now Brown Cow”. Csabi had never heard that before and we kept repeating it when we saw a cow in a pasture. (A man in the seat in front of us turned around and smiled.)

When we got back to Keswick, about a 40 minute ride, we did some shopping at Booth’s then had some coffee and tea at their cafe. Csabi ordered a chocolate cake and offered me a few bites.

Not sure when I’ll see him again – especially given that I haven’t fully planned out the remainder of 2017. Perhaps in Edinburgh, Budapest, or London. Who knows!

When I got back to my room, after taking a nap, I made plans to visit Liverpool then take a ferry over to Isle of Man. Seems a bit last-minute, but it seems like something I’d like to do. So away I go tomorrow on a new adventure!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *