Daily Journal: Friday, 31 March 2017

Preparing to Leave Athens for Budapest

Was awake at 4:00 a.m. to make sure I was ready for the taxi which was scheduled to arrive at 6:00. In these two hours I cleaned the flat, ate a little, took a shower and packed. Was only 5 minutes late getting me and the bags down to the street. Good timing!

On our way to the airport, we had a good discussion about the job outlook in Greece, places the taxi driver would like to travel, and the economy of both Greece and the United States. The airport is at least 30 – 45 minutes away from the center. (50 Euros)

I had a good time in Athens. Good – meaning that I saw everything that I had planned to see, got an excellent appreciation of the layout of the city, public transportation and local customs. Everyone was very nice and helpful to this traveler from Oregon. I accepted their generous spirit and look forward to when I can visit again. Next visit will be longer and will visit some of the islands and also destinations to the north of the city.

Traveling to Budapest was effortless. I took a picture of the leg room I had on the plane. Amazing! Almost like being in first class. This was on Aegean Airlines. Was fed breakfast during the flight, which was appreciated, since I only had a couple of pieces of bread, some cheese, and a little orange juice before I left.

Leg Room! I have several inches between my knees and the seat in front of me.

Upon arriving in Budapest, I put in my Hungarian SIM card into my phone then went to Vodafone to add money to my account. Went to an ATM to get cash and then got a taxi for a ride to my Airbnb flat.

Since the taxi ride was mid-morning, the commute to the flat was less than 30 minutes and the fare was around 8,000 Euros. I met my Airbnb host who took the time to show me around the flat and then a quick walk around the neighborhood. She dropped me off at a nearby market where I bought a few supplies and got home and had a small lunch before a took a nap.

Csabi came by at around 4:00 and we had coffee and got caught up. While in Greece, he found out that he was offered a job in England and scheduled to leave on April 2nd. Wow! So, we just have this portion of today to talk and say our goodbyes.

We walked around for almost 4 hours. First up to a mall up the street (about a 15 minute walk) and then down to another mall so Csabi could print out his boarding pass. We ate at McDonald’s too.

Would have like to have had more time with Csabi, but will see him again when I’m in the UK later this year.

Had a great nights sleep. Good way to start off this stay in Budapest!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *