Daily Journal: Monday, 27 March 2017

A little cooler today. Was very apparent, while walking to the post office, noticed that I was dressed a little differently from most everyone else. Was only wearing a light long-sleeved shirt while the local folk were wearing coats.

Today was the last day to hang low so my cold (or allergies) went away. Took care of a few errands, including some grocery shopping. Made a phone call to a friend in the U.S., made some dinner, then went out at sunset to Mount Lycabetus – a very prominent hill in Athens and known for its views of the city at sunset.

Below is a picture I took from the Acropolis a few days ago. Mount Lycabetus can be seen in the center of the picture.

View of the chapel on the hill.

I ended up taking two different taxis to get there. One driver said he had another customer that he was scheduled to pick up – so he got me further down the hill where he flagged down another taxi to take me the rest of the way. Had a good time talking with the second driver who was interested in family history and also gave me a lesson in how Greek surnames are formed. All of this in less than 15 minutes.

He dropped me off at the parking area of┬áMount Lycabetus so I could walk the rest of the way up the hill to the viewing platform, chapel and restaurant. Glad it was a cool evening – can’t imagine doing this hike during the heat of the summer. Wasn’t quite sure where I was going – just followed some people up the hill – walked through part of the multi-floored restaurant and found the chapel on the hill along with the viewing platform. Had plenty of company – guess others knew that this was a good place to be during the Athens sunset.

Took some pictures of Athens, mainly from this location to the sea. As it got darker, the Acropolis was lit up – though was several miles away. Still, was beautiful to see.

Chapel on the hill.

Paddington Bean returns!

After I took enough pictures, I walked down the hill and then all the way back to my flat. Was going to take a taxi at the bottom of the hill, but decided to keep on walking. The road down the hill was partially lit, but had enough light to make my way. About halfway down I was thinking that, given the lack of traffic, it would be a good place to get mugged. I quickly forgot about that possibility and kept on walking.

Made it home in about 45 minutes. Got over 14,000 steps in today. Guess I’m 100% better now. I have more outings over the next few days before I leave early Friday morning for Budapest.

Below, added a picture of the building where I’m living.

One thought on “Daily Journal: Monday, 27 March 2017”

  1. Fun for you with your visitor from Pakistan. 6,000 is quite a large gathering. Thought I had lost Paddington but he got folding in with some clothes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *