Was thinking that adding some day-to-day detail to this travel blog might be interesting, at least to me when I read again in my twilight years. Haha… Will label this in each update as “Daily Journal” and will include at the end of each post, when I post on a specific topic.
22 October 2016 (Date format that I think most countries use, and will try to remember to convert measurements into metrics.)
- Committed to writing a daily journal. Will try to write something daily, if only a few lines.
- Temperature was cool early this morning – around 34 (F) / 1 (C). Woke up first at 3:00 a.m. – was wide awake. Went to sleep around 12:30 last night, but took a nap earlier in the evening – maybe that was why I woke so early. Actually made some coffee at 3:00 a.m., read the news, then went back to bed and slept until 6:30 a.m.
- Yesterday, I made arrangements for my lodging in London, as of 9 December. My travel has been booked to visit Iceland 1 December – 8 December. I’ll stay in London until the first part of January, then leave for Egypt (TBD).
- Need to phone Verizon to find out why they want to continue to send paper statements when my account is closed with a zero balance. (Received email yesterday from Verizon.) The person receiving my mail in the U.S. would appreciate getting fewer pieces of mail with my name on it. Related to this, just received notification from Vodafone.UK that I do not have any international minutes left on my “pay as you go plan” so will need to add £5 to my account to get another 50 minutes so I can phone the U.S. I try to use Messenger or WhatsApp for making free calls, but that doesn’t always work when I call a 800 number.
- Just got back from grocery shopping, with two bags of groceries, for about £50 or about $61. Considering the amount of food, think this is about right. One day, I’ll take my receipt and itemize each line. Also, I get to use another coupon that will reduce my receipt by £10 if I spend £55 or more – this is the second one of these coupons that I’ve received. This is from Waitrose and I have one of their discount cards.
- Tonight I’m going to make Paprika Chicken again. I have some good Hungarian Paprika and have been trying different recipes and finding the best of the best. I cook about 90% of my meals at home. For breakfast today, I had a Weetabix with blueberries, raspberries and banana on top – then later had some tea and toast. Not really hungry now, will maybe eat something later.
- Decided not to got to the gym and work out today. I’ve been every day for the last week and also did a lot of walking on Thursday, so I’m giving myself the day off.
- I’m still in the process of organizing my pictures – both the pictures that I have pre-Europe and those that I’ve taken since being in Europe. Still looking for the best way to label them. Most are on both the cloud and an external hard drive. The cloud is fine, but trying to work with them (even to download) is a multi-step process.
- I’ve been working steadily on the family genealogy. I’m now getting the ancestors from England together and mapping out the home towns of each, so I can visit at some point. Most of the family is from England and most arrived in the 17th and 18th century in the U.S. and records from back then are a little sketchy, so take a bit of resource to gather the information and confirm, as best that I can, that it is accurate. Have a few ancestors from Ireland, none from Scotland, a few from Germany, a couple from Netherlands, and one branch from Switzerland. I got the Switzerland one visited a couple of months ago and now look forward to the ones from England.
- The Paprika Chicken turned out very well, I my humble opinion, and have enough for leftovers. Think I’ll keep this recipe and make again. Most of my recipes are bookmarked on my browser and filed under a bookmark folder named (get ready): Food. Once you learn to CNTL+D, everytime you want to bookmark something, it gets to be a habit.
- Also ordered an Apple TV which I will pick up tomorrow. I should have brought along the device I had in Portland. If you don’t know what one is, here is a YouTube link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_GUuJyyyRQ